Thursday, March 03, 2005

Quite poppy

They're talking about drugs on NDTV's website. Something about how there's a 17 percent growth in opium production over there and how India bears the brunt by getting more addicts.

I really don't know how to react to a story like that. I suppose it ought to be a matter of concern if my country has more junkies than it did last year. But, strangely, it does not worry me much.

All those people out there, who are into dope, probably know what they're doing. It's their life; it's their decision; it's their money (I hope)...

I worry when I see six-year-olds doing brown sugar. I worry when I see four-year-olds sniffing glue.
But I don't know if it's an issue of national concern.

Besides, we've got opium aplenty in Barabanki, Kanpur and Lucknow. We've got enough dope coming into Delhi and Haryana from Rajasthan. And that poppy smiles in nearly every backyard in Bhatinda.

Why point fingers at Afghanistan?

No comments:

Tweets by @anniezaidi